Thee Official 2024-25 Detroit Red Wings Thread: Please, no more Rangers

Steve Simmons Not Allowed
Grand Moff Larkin
Site Admin

Re: Thee Official 2024-25 Detroit Red Wings Thread: Please, no more Rangers

#141 Post by Grand Moff Larkin »

Turns out more shots does not equal better than

Rasmussen got the most satisfying empty net goal I can remember. Not long after the Wings killed off Jeff Petry's late penalty (more on that in a second), Edvinsson dumped the puck down the ice and Ras was first to it in the corner. He takes it to the net and tucks it in right as J'accuse arrives to check him. Ras gets the goal and knocks J'accuse on his ass, then flexes / roars. They showed it a dozen times at the arena and I could've seen it a dozen more.

Yeah so similar to the last game, the Wings were pretty lucky to get out of that one with a win. Shots were 40-19 NJ and the Devils had a lot of great chances in front of the net. The Wings over-passed a bit and could've had another five or ten shots if they had prioritized volume. Larkin had a great redirect goal on the PP and they were super close on that exact play a couple of times on a later PP but didn't get shots. So I think there's a mix of "We're getting killed defensively with certain guys (cough) on the ice" and "we're trying to get high-quality chances.

Chiarot and Petry had a tough night. Got trapped in the zone a lot, both guys took minor penalties. Chiarot at least had some good up-ice rushed and had a fight, which helped keep Neu! 15 and his buddy awake. The Wings dressed seven D because Compher was out with a bug going around the room, and it's hard to say anyone other than Seider and Edvinsson looked good. But man Edvinsson is a smooth skater and a calm guy on the ice.

Kasper got to play with Kane and Tarasenko some of the time and he looked up to it. I was really hoping to see his first NHL goal but he did a lot of the hard work to set those guys up. He played almost 19 minutes. Whereas Berggren gets knocked around a lot, Kasper's the one throwing the body. Berggren is smart offensively and doesn't get deterred when he gets knocked down.

Christian Fischer scored a sweet goal, waiting Markstrom out in front of the net like he was Kane, and later had to fight Brendan Dillon after throwing a clean hit in the corner. Good game from him and Andrew Copp,

The Wings PK stoinks, Devils scored on 3/5 tonight. Talbot got a piece on a few of them but it's just guys wide open in front of the net. Part of that is when Seider's in the box for the penalty, they're fucked, because Chiarot and Petry will be out there for half of it.